Ocotea essential oil is a new powerful, yet gentle essential oil extracted from the stems and leaves of the ocotea tree in Ecuador. Although related to the cinnamon species, ocotea has an aroma different from any common cinnamon, with only hints of a cinnamon base.
Ocotea has high levels of alpha-humulene — one of the highest of any known essential oil. Alpha-humulene can balance the body’s internal response to irritation and inflammation. Only copaiba essential oil has comparable levels of this natural plant compound. It also contains Eucalyptol which works on the sinuses and lungs.
Historical usage of ocotea dates back more than 500 years, when it was used to aromatize sweets and cakes. It has also been traditionally used as a disinfectant and for digestive support.
Benefits and Therapeutic Actions of Ocotea:
- Contains the highest levels of alpha-humulene of any known essential oil, which helps balance the body’s internal response to irritation.*
- Powerful anti-inflammatory — reduces swelling, helps with Candida, e-coli.*
- Traditionally used as a disinfectant and for digestive support.
- Gentle – results in far less skin sensitivity than cinnamon bark or cassia
- Reduces blood sugar levels (1-3 drops under tongue)
Where Ocotea Comes From:
Ocotea is wild crafted and distilled at Finca Botanica Aromatica, Young Living’s farm and distillory in Ecuador. It is harvested from a large tree found in the Amazon Basin of Ecuador, from sea level up to 1,500 meters in altitude. The trees are divided into male and female trees, with only the female treed producing foliage suitable for distillation into essential oils.
How to use:
1-4 drops with V-6 . Topical: test on a small, inconspicuous area of the skin to observe sensitivity; apply to desired area as needed.
Dietary Supplement: Dilute 1-4 drops with V-6. Place in capsule and take daily or as directed by
a health professional.
- Copaiba essential oil
- RutaVaLa™ essential oil blend
- Eucalyptus Blue™ essential oil single
- Ocotea is found in Stress Away™ Essential Oil Roll-On.
- Ocotea has a relatively low concentration of cinnamaldehyde (less than 5 percent), which is a natural plant chemical that can trigger sensitization reactions. Traditional cinnamon can contain up to 50 percent cinnamaldehyde.
- Every two years the ocotea tree produces large flowers known as “ishpingo” or “flor de canela.”
Cautions: Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of the reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, please consult a healthcare practitioner prior to use.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is ocotea found in any Young Living blends?
A. Yes. Ocotea is a key ingredient in Stress Away Essential Oil Roll-On.
† Modern scientific research has not yet validated these claims
Order by Phone: Toll-free order line: 800-371-2928 (7am-7pm Mountain Time, 6am-6pm Pacific, 9am-9pm Eastern Time).
If you are a new customer, you’ll need this referral number when placing your order: #87339
Need a price? Click here to download the Pricelist
* This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Item No. 3556, 5 ml – Ocotea Essential Oil