Why Diffuse Essential Oils?
Your sense of smell is incredibly powerful. Without it, food would be tasteless and life would be dull.
Think of it, what would a lemon be without it’s sharp, refreshing citrusy scent? Would your mouth water for bar-be-que beef if you couldn’t smell it? Would an ocean breeze be as nice if you couldn’t smell that clean, ocean scent?
“Those who lose their sense of smell because of accident or illness also report a loss of emotional richness and, over time, a loss of emotional intensity toward life…Experiences are flatter, they report,” according professor of psychology, Rachel Herz
Are Fragrances Safe?
People love fragrances and they use them everywhere in life – just about every personal care product and cleaning product is loaded with fragrance these days.
But the chemical fragrances used in commercial products are artificial and harmful. Air fresheners with artificial fragrances only mask odors and clog your olefactory system with toxins.
Why use toxic fragrances when you can use health-enhancing and natural essential oils?
Essential oils can truly purify the air, dispel odors, relax the body and mind, enhance the immune system and clear the mind, as well as bring oxygen to the brain and improve memory and health.
One of the easiest and simplest way of getting the benefits of essential oils is by using an aromatic diffuser. Diffusing disperses essential oils into the air around you with sweetly-scented micro-mist particles, so you can enjoy them and inhale them as you go about your day.
Diffusing essential oils is a perfect way to help you relieve tension, dispel odors and create an warm, fragrant atmosphere in your home or workplace.
The Power of Diffusing
Researchers have discovered that odors trigger deeper emotional memories more than any other sense.
“We often don’t encounter certain odors frequently,” said Herz. “In some way you are potentially more vulnerable to odors … and taken unaware.”
For that reason, many people feel diffusing essential oils can release unpleasant old memories and experiences and lock in positive memories.
Essential oils are also very effective at enhancing mood and uplifting spirits. Imagine entering a room filled with the spring-fresh scent of lavender… or during the holidays, the warmth and scents of the Christmas season. It’s instantaneous and undeniable. One whiff and you’re transported.
Here are more benefits of diffusing essential oils:
- When diffused, essential oils have been reported to improve immune health and create a feeling of balance and well-being.
- Research shows that diffusion of certain oils may reduce bacteria, fungus, and mold, such as Purification essential oil.
- Research shows that diffusing certain oils kills airborn bacteria. Thieves essential oil blend has been shown to be 99.96 percent effective against airborne bacteria.
- Diffusing essential oils such as lavender and Peace & Calming may promote relaxation, relieve tension, clear the mind and improve concentration, alertness and mental clarity.
- European scientists have found that essential oils can work as natural chelators, bonding to metallics and chemicals and ferrying them out of the body.
The History of Diffusing
Aromatherapy got it’s name from the French chemist René-Maurice Gattefossé in the early 1920s. Gattefossé spent his life devoted to researching essential oils and their healing properties.
However, Gattefossé was hardly the first to use essential oils. For more than 6,000 years prior to Gattefossé, aromatherapy had been used by the Egyptians, Romans, and the Greeks. Imhotep, an Egyptian physician, suggested that oils be used for massage, bathing and embalming the dead. Hippocrates, known as the father of modern medicine, successfully used aromatic smoke and vapors to purge Athens of the plague.
Today, much has been studied and theorized regarding the effects of diffusing essential oils, which is similar to the aromatic smoke used by Hippocrates. It is thought that when essential oils are diffused, they can increase atmospheric oxygen by releasing oxygenating molecules into the air.
Why Diffusing Essential Oils Is So Beneficial For Your Health
Essential oils increase the body’s ability to transport oxygen into the cells and well as increase oxygen in the atmosphere. The lipid-soluble structure of essential oils allows them to easily penetrate the cell membranes of the nose and enter into the bloodstream. Once in the bloodstream, the oils can help transport oxygen and nutrients into the cells.
It is also thought that diffusing essential oils can have a positive effect on the olfactory system (mechanism of smell) and the limbic system (center of memory, emotion and motivation).
When an essential oil is inhaled through the nose, it is dissolved within the olfactory epithelium (a tissue of layered cells in the nasal cavity) which has more than 40 million cells made of small hairs called cilia also known as olfactory receptors. These receptors receive the micro-fine oil particles carrying them to the mitral cells in the olfactory bulb. The olfactory bulb then transmits a signal to areas of the brain such as the hippocampus, amygdale, hypothalamus or the olfactory cortex all of which are part of the limbic system.
Emotions, long term memory, and behavior are functions that are managed by the limbic system. The strong connections people have between scent and memories, emotions, and places are created through this mechanism of smell.
In this way, diffusing essential oils can be very helpful in overcoming fear or trauma and are extremely valuable in building new and positive memories and experiences.
What Is A Diffuser?
In order to diffuse essential oils, you first need a diffuser. There are several types, but the main types are pump diffusers and ultrasonic diffusers.
- TheraPro Premium Diffuser – One of the most powerful atomizing diffusers on the market with the latest, state-of-the-art oil-atomizing technology, the ability to attach Young Living essential oil bottles directly to the diffuser, a built-in timer, and settings for both duration and volume of oil output during use.
- Aria Ultrasonic Diffuser – this beautiful, elegant essential oil diffuser creates a magical atmosphere and fits in with any decor. This system combines the latest in diffuser technology with a variety of useful features. The included remote lets you choose from a selection of soothing, built-in sounds or enjoy the multicolored LED lights. With the built-in speakers, you can plug in your own personal music device and enjoy the music of your choice.
- Home Diffuser – This newly designed diffuser uses state-of-the-art ultrasonic technology to safely eliminate odors. It combines a humidifier, air purifier, atomizer, and aromatherapy diffuser into one product that safely releases essential oils into the air to eliminate odors and create a spa-like atmosphere.
- Pump diffusers – These are the “classic style” diffusers that blow air through a well filled with oil, forcing a consistent stream of oil into a glass nebulizer, where it is broken up into fine mist particles and blown out into the room.
- Travel Fan Diffuser – Introduces convenience and portability to essential oil diffusing. Now, you can diffuse essentials oils wherever you travel, in your car, plane, train or RV. It’s a simple and easy way to diffuse therapeutic-grade oils when you are on the go.
How to Diffuse?
To use a pump and well style diffuser, pour 10-15 drops of oil into the well and turn on the pump. There is no need to run it all day. Most people leave it on for 15-20 minutes every hour. a timer can be set to turn the pump on an off.
To use an ultrasonic diffuser, mix the oil with distilled or purified water according to the directions, pour into the well and turn on. Be sure to clean after each use.
You May Need Time To Adjust
Very often there is an “acclimation” period when switching from artificial fragrances to pure essential oils. Therapeutic-grade essential oils will awaken and enliven your olefactory system and brain, but the purity may be overwhelming at first to a system deadened by artificial scents. If you find this to be the case, diffuse oils for only 15-30 minutes per day at first. If that’s too much, start with only a few minutes. As you become accustomed to the oils and recognize their effects, gradually increase the amount of diffusing time or frequency.
How Much Oil To Use?
Thick oils, like sandalwood, myrrh or Valor, diffuse more slowly than thinner ones, such as lavender, peppermint or lemon. Just to give you an idea, one 15 ml bottle of lemon or lavender will diffuse within 8 hours in a pump diffuser. One 15 ml bottle of sandalwood or Valor will diffuse completely within 48 hours, in a pump diffuser. In an ultrasonic diffuser, the oils last longer, although I haven’t timed it yet and can’t give you specifics.
Some people turn bottles of thicker oil upside down on the well and leave them there while diffusing to give a slow consistent supply of oil to the well and slow them down a bit. Thinner oils are usually poured directly into the well.
Whether you prefer a pump-and-well style diffuser or an ultrasonic diffuser is really a matter of preference. The important thing is to get started reaping the many benefits of diffusing essential oils.
Order by Phone: Toll-free order line: 800-371-2928 (7am-7pm Mountain Time, 6am-6pm Pacific, 9am-9pm Eastern Time). If you are a new customer, you’ll need this referral number when placing your order: #87339
Need a price? Click here to download the Pricelist
* This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Item No: 4495 – TheraPro Premium Diffuser Item No: 4524 – Aria™ Ultrasonic Diffuser Item No. 4589 – Home Diffuser Item No. 3821 (Green), #3824 (Bronze), #3764 (Silver)- Well & Jet Diffuser